Thanks to everyone who joined us at our October 2018 Show and Tell meetup this week. Here’s a quick recap of our meetup.
Three Things to Know About WordPress
- The WordPress 5.0 release schedule was announced earlier this month. The final version is expected to be released on November 19, 2018.
- Rian Rietveld, WordPress Accessibility Team leader, has resigned. Read her reasons for why she has left her role.
- WooSesh, a free online two-day conference all about WooCommerce, takes place this week, October 18-19, 2018.
Website Tips and Advice
During our meetup, members shared their tips and advice on website creation and content management, including:
- Keep your domain name registration and hosting at different companies.
- Hosting should be in the name of the site owner, not the developer/designer. It’s the site owner’s website, they need to own it (for when designer/developer leaves or relationship goes south).
- Craft content that’s easy to read. Use good color contrast and headings. Write short paragraphs and short sentences. Explain what acronyms mean on first use.
- If you have a client with a low budget, consider hosted WordPress.com, which offers ability to use your own domain name, customize your branding, and is constantly updated with the latest WordPress version.
Show and Tell
Since our speaker Basia Dabrowski wasn’t able to attend, member Sue Schneider stepped up and shared two of the recent sites she launched.
Jogue is a business-to-business site which launched this summer. It’s the first website Sue has ever created.
Using Divi, she worked with the client to highlight their services, including a product-specific dropdown in the contact form. The client was especially happy with that feature for their product-specific customers.
The second site she shared was Sue’s own website which also launched in the past few months.
Save the date!
Since Thanksgiving falls the week we would typically meet, we changed our next meetup date to Tuesday, November 13, 2018.
Hope to see you there!
The topic for the next meetup is WordPress 5.0 and Gutenberg. We’ll take a look at the new editor as well as new features expected in WordPress 5.0.
One of our new members is checking into whether we can meet at a local library. I’ll post meetup details and registration when we’re confirmed for our meetup space.