At our September 2018 Share Your Favorite Productivity Tool or Tip meetup this week, our West Metro Detroit WordPress members discussed:
- Several WordCamps going on in the area! Cost to attend works out to about $20 per day. If you learn one thing, it’s worth it!
- WordPress 4.9.9 is in process – last WP release before 5.0. Coming in November 2018. Keep up to date on 4.9.9 release information on WordPress.org.
- ProBlogger posted a helpful article today – 8 Important Admin Tasks to Do When Launching a New Blog.
- On that note, when you have a post regarding number of things such as the above example, it’s best to leave the number out of the URL. That way when the list is updated in the future, the link doesn’t change.
- Having dates in the permalink is the default on WordPress.com.
During our meetup, several members shared their favorite productivity apps, Canva, Zello and Hushed.
Canva is a slick, free online graphics editing tool which allows the easy creation of custom images for web and print.
Many of the images you see on Pinterest are created with tools such as Canva, and there is an entire section of layouts for use in social media, amongst many other projects!
Zello is a free, push to talk two way radio app that turns your phone into a walkie talkie. Create an account and invite your friends to connect – you can also create channels in which you can add contacts and “broadcast” to the group or communicate privately.
Works anywhere you have a mobile data signal!
Hushed is a service providing disposable phone numbers, custom voicemail and call forwarding. Especially helpful since Skype has discontinued the personal recording of outgoing greetings!
Here are some of the resources shared during the meetup. If I missed any, share them in the comments.
Thanks to everyone who came out to the meetup and helped to answer our members’ questions!
Our next meetup is Show and Tell on Tuesday, October 16, 2018. Hope you’ll join us!